Mountain Men and Life in the Rocky

Subject Guide


Mountain West

Malachite’s Big Hole

Colter’s Run:

Colter’s race with the Blackfoot Indians is perhaps one of the most famous mountain man stories, because it is a story of courage against impossible odds, perseverance and an iron will to survive.  Here are two versions of the story, as related by Colter directly to the writers.  The first version was told to Thomas James sometime during the winter of 1809-10, or early in the spring of 1810 while both men were members of a party trapping in headwater area of the Missouri River.  The second version was related to John Bradbury less than a year after Colter’s return from the mountains in the spring of 1812.  Bradbury probably met Colter in either St. Louis or St. Charles.  Bradbury, a botanist, at this time had attached himself to Wilson Price Hunt’s party of Astorians bound eventually for the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean, although Bradbury wouldn’t accompany them that far. 

Although there are differences between the versions, the story as related in each version is remarkably similar, suggesting that Colter felt no need to enhance his adventure for better telling, as opposed to other mountain men such as Jim Beckwourth who was known as the “Gaudy Liar.”

Colter’s Run (Thomas James version)

WHEN COLTER was returning in 1807 with Lewis & Clark, from Oregon, he met a company of hunters ascending the Missouri, by whom he was persuaded to return to the trapping region, to hunt and trap with them.  Here he was found by Liza [Manuel Lisa] in the following year, whom he assisted in building the Fort at the Big Horn.  In one of his many excursions from this post to the Forks of the Missouri, for beaver, he made the wonderful escape adverted to in the last chapter and which I give precisely as he related it to me.  His veracity was never questioned among us and his character was that of a true American backwoodsman.  He was about thirty-five years of age, five feet ten inches in height and wore an open, ingenious, and pleasing countenance of the Daniel Boone stamp.  Nature had formed him, like Boone, for hardy endurance of fatigue, privations and perils.  He had gone with a companion named Potts to the Jefferson river, which is the most western of the three Forks, and runs near the base of the mountains.  They were both proceeding up the river in search of beaver, each in his own canoe, when a war party of about eight hundred Black-Feet Indians suddenly appeared on the east bank of the river.  The Chiefs ordered them to come ashore, and apprehending robbery only, and knowing the utter hopelessness of flight and having dropped his traps over the side of the canoe [opposite] from the Indians, into the water, which was here quite shallow, he hastened to obey their mandate.  On reaching the shore, he was seized, disarmed and stripped entirely naked.  Potts was still in his canoe in the middle of the stream, where he remained stationary, watching the result.  Colter requested him to come ashore, which he refused to do, saying he might as well lose his life at once, as be stripped and robbed in the manner Colter had been.  An Indian immediately fired and shot him about the hip; he dropped down in the canoe, but instantly rose with his rifle in his hands. "Are you hurt," said Colter.  "Yes, said he, too much hurt to escape; if you can get away do so.  I will kill at least one of them."  He leveled his rifle and shot an Indian dead.  In an instant, at least a hundred bullets pierced his body and as many savages rushed into the stream and pulled the canoe, containing his riddled corpse, ashore.  They dragged the body up onto the bank, and with their hatchets and knives cut and hacked it all to pieces, and limb from limb.  The entrails, heart, lungs, &c., they threw into Colter's face.  The relations of the killed Indian were furious with rage and struggled, with tomahawk in hand, to reach Colter, while others held them back. He was every moment expecting the death blow or the fatal shot that should lay him beside his companion.  A council was hastily held over him and his fate quickly determined upon.  He expected to die by tomahawk, slow, lingering and horrible.  But they had magnanimously determined to give him a chance, though a slight one, for his life.  After the council, a Chief pointed to the prairie and motioned him away with his hand, saying in the Crow language, "go--go away."  He supposed they intended to shoot him as soon as he was out of the crowd and presented a fair mark to their guns.  He started in a walk, and an old Indian with impatient signs and exclamations, told him to go faster, and as he still kept a walk, the same Indian manifested his wishes by still more violent gestures and adjurations.  When he had gone a distance of eighty or a hundred yards from the army of his enemies, he saw the younger Indians throwing off their blankets, leggings, and other incumbrances, as if for a race.  Now he knew their object.  He was to run a race, of which the prize was to be his own life and scalp.  Off he started with the speed of the wind. The war-whoop and yell immediately arose behind him; and looking back, he saw a large company of young warriors, with spears, in rapid pursuit.  He ran with all the strength that nature, excited to the utmost, could give; fear and hope lent a supernatural vigor to his limbs and the rapidity of his flight astonished himself.  The Madison Fork lay directly before him, five miles from his starting place.  He had run half the distance when his strength began to fail and the blood to gush from his nostrils.  At every leap the red stream spurted before him, and his limbs were growing rapidly weaker and weaker.  He stopped and looked back; he had far outstripped all his pursuers and could get off if strength would only hold out.  One solitary Indian, far ahead of the others, was rapidly approaching, with a spear in his right hand, and a blanket streaming behind from his left hand and shoulder. Despairing of escape, Colter awaited his pursuer and called to him in the Crow language, to save his life.  The savage did not seem to hear him, but letting go his blanket, and seizing his spear with both hands, he rushed at Colter, naked and defenseless as he stood before him and made a desperate lunge to transfix him.  Colter seized the spear, near the head, with his right hand, and exerting his whole strength, aided by the weight of the falling Indian, who had lost his balance in the fury of the onset, he broke off the iron head or blade which remained in his hand, while the savage fell to the ground and lay prostrate and disarmed before him.  Now was his turn to beg for his life, which he did in the Crow language, and held up his hands imploringly, but Colter was not in a mood to remember the golden rule, and pinned his adversary through the body to the earth one stab with the spear head.  He quickly drew the weapon from the body of the now dying Indian, and seizing his blanket as lawful spoil, he again set out with renewed strength, feeling, he said to me, as if he had not run a mile.  A shout and yell arose from the pursuing army in his rear as from a legion of devils, and he saw the prairie behind him covered with Indians in full and rapid chase. Before him, if any where was life and safety; behind him certain death; and running as never man before sped the foot, except, perhaps, at the Olympic Games, he reached his goal, the Madison river and the end of his five mile heat.  Dashing through the willows on the bank he plunged into the stream and saw close beside him a beaver house, standing like a coal-pit about ten feet above the surface of the water, which was here of about the same depth.  This presented to him a refuge from his ferocious enemies of which he immediately availed himself.  Diving under the water he arose into the beaver house, where he found a dry and comfortable resting place on the upper floor or story of this singular structure.  The Indians soon came up, and in their search for him they stood upon the roof of his house of refuge, which he expected every moment to hear them breaking open.  He also feared that they would set it on fire.  After a diligent search on that side of the river, they crossed over, and in about two hours returned again to his temporary habitation in which he was enjoying bodily rest, though with much anxious foreboding.  The beaver houses are divided into two stories and will generally accommodate several men in a dry and comfortable lodging.  In this asylum Colter kept fast till night.  The cries of his terrible enemies had gradually died away, and all was still around him, when he ventured out of his hiding place, by the same opening under the water by which he entered and which admits the beavers to their building.  He swam the river and hastened towards the mountain gap or ravine, about thirty miles above on the river, through which our company passed in the snow with so much difficulty.  Fearing that the Indians might have guarded this pass, which was the only outlet from the valley, and to avoid the danger of a surprise, Colter ascended the almost perpendicular mountain before him, the tops and sides of which a great way down, were covered with perpetual snow.  He clambered up this fearful ascent about four miles below the gap, holding on by the rocks, shrubs and branches of trees, and by morning had reached the top.  He lay there concealed all that day, and at night proceeded on in the descent of the mountain, which he accomplished by dawn.  He now hastened on in the open plain towards Manuel's Fort on the Big Horn, about three hundred miles a head in the north-east.  He travelled day and night, stopping only for necessary repose, and eating roots and the bark of trees for eleven days.  He reached the Fort, nearly exhausted by hunger, fatigue and excitement.  His only clothing was the Indian's blanket, whom he had killed in the race, and his only weapon, the same Indian's spear which he brought to the Fort as a trophy.  His beard was long, his face and whole body were thin and emaciated by hunger, and his limbs and feet swollen and sore.  The company at the Fort did not recognize him in this dismal plight until he had made himself known.  Colter now with me passed over the scene of his capture and wonderful escape, and described his emotions during the whole adventure with great minuteness.  Not the least of his exploits was the scaling of the mountain, which seemed to me impossible even by the mountain goat.  As I looked at its rugged and perpendicular sides I wondered how he ever reached the top--a feat probably never performed before by mortal man.  The whole affair is a fine example of the quick and ready thoughtfulness and presence of mind in a desperate situation, and the power of endurance, which characterise the western pioneer.  As we passed over the ground where Colter ran his race, and listened to his story an undefinable fear crept over all.  We felt awe-struck by the nameless and numerous dangers that evidently beset us on every side.  

Colter told us the particulars of a second adventure which I will give to the reader. In the winter when he had recovered from the fatigues of his long race and journey, he wished to recover the traps which he had dropped into the Jefferson Fork on the first appearance of the Indians who captured him.  He supposed the Indians were all quiet in winter quarters, and retraced his steps to the Gallatin Fork.  He had just passed the mountain gap, and encamped on the bank of the river for the night and kindled a fire to cook his supper of buffalo meat when he heard the crackling of leaves and branches behind him in the direction of the river.  He could see nothing, it being quite dark, but quickly he heard the cocking of guns and instantly leaped over the fire.  Several shots followed and bullets whistled around him, knocking the coals off his fire over the ground.  Again he fled for life, and the second time, ascended the perpendicular mountain which he had gone up in his former flight fearing now as then, that the pass might be guarded by Indians.  He reached the top before morning and resting for the day descended the next night, and then made his way with all possible speed, to the Fort.  He said that at the time, he promised God Almighty that he would never return to this region again if he were only permitted to escape once more with his life.  He did escape once more, and was now again in the same country, courting the same dangers, which he had so often braved, and that seemed to have for him a kind of fascination.  Such men, and there are thousands of such, can only live in a state of excitement and constant action. Perils and danger are their natural element and their familiarity with them and indifference to their fate, are well illustrated in these adventures of Colter.

A few days afterward, when Cheek was killed and Colter had another narrow escape, he came into the Fort, and said he had promised his Maker to leave the country, and "now" said he, throwing down his hat on the ground, "If God will only forgive me this time and let me off I will leave the country day after tomorrow--and be d--d if I ever come into it again."  He left accordingly, in company with young Bryant of Philadelphia, whose father was a merchant of that city, and one other whose name I forget.  They were attacked by the Blackfeet just beyond the mountains, but escaped by hiding in a thicket, where the Indians were afraid to follow them, and at night they proceeded towards the Big Horn, lying concealed in the daytime.  They reached St. Louis safely and a few years after I heard of Colter's death by jaundice.  

Colter’s Race (John Bradbury’s versionThis man came to St. Louis in May, 1810, in a small canoe, from the head waters of the Missouri, a distance of three thousand miles, which he traversed in thirty days.  I saw him on his arrival, and received from him an account of his adventures after he had separated from Lewis and Clarke's party: one of these, from its singularity, I shall relate.  On the arrival of the party on the head waters of the Missouri, Colter, observing an appearance of abundance of beaver being there, he got permission to remain and hunt for some time, which he did in company with a man of the name of Dixon, who had traversed the immense tract of country from St. Louis to the head waters of the Missouri alone. Soon after he separated from Dixon, and trapped in company with a hunter named Potts; and aware of the hostility of the Blackfeet Indians, one of whom had been killed by Lewis, they set their traps at night, and took them up early in the morning, remaining concealed during the day.  They were examining their traps early one morning, in a creek about six miles from that branch of the Missouri called Jefferson's Fork, and were ascending in a canoe, when they suddenly heard a great noise, resembling the trampling of animals; but they could not ascertain the fact, as the high perpendicular banks on each side of the river impeded their view.  Colter immediately pronounced it to be occasioned by Indians, and advised an instant retreat; but was accused of cowardice by Potts, who insisted that the noise was caused by buffaloes, and they proceeded on.  In a few minutes afterwards their doubts were removed, by a party of Indians making their appearance on both sides of the creek, to the amount of five or six hundred, who beckoned them to come ashore.  As retreat was now impossible, Colter turned the head of the canoe to the shore; and at the moment of its touching, an Indian seized the rifle belonging to Potts; but Colter, who is a remarkably strong man, immediately retook it, and handed it to Potts, who remained in the canoe, and on receiving it pushed off into the river.  He had scarcely quitted the shore when an arrow was shot at him, and he cried out, "Colter, I am wounded."  Colter remonstrated with him on the folly of attempting to escape, and urged him to come ashore.  Instead of complying, he instantly levelled his rifle at an Indian, and shot him dead on the spot. This conduct, situated as he was, may appear to have been an act of madness; but it was doubtless the effect of sudden, but sound reasoning; for if taken alive, he must have expected to be tortured to death, according to their custom.  He was instantly pierced with arrows so numerous, that, to use the language of Colter, "he was made a riddle of."  They now seized Colter, stripped him entirely naked, and began to consult on the manner in which he should be put to death.  They were first inclined to set him up as a mark to shoot at; but the chief interfered, and seizing him by the shoulder, asked him if he could run fast?  Colter, who had been some time amongst the Kee-kat-sa, or Crow Indians, had in a considerable degree acquired the Blackfoot language, and was also well acquainted with Indian customs.  He knew that he had now to run for his life, with the dreadful odds of five or six hundred against him, and those armed Indians; therefore cunningly replied that he was a very bad runner, although he was considered by the hunters as remarkably swift.  The chief now commanded the party to remain stationary, and led Colter out on the prairie three or four hundred yards, and released him, bidding him to save himself if he could.  At that instant the horrid war whoop sounded in the ears of poor Colter, who, urged with the hope of preserving life, ran with a speed at which he was himself surprised.  He proceeded towards the Jefferson Fork, having to traverse a plain six miles in breadth, abounding with the prickly pear, on which he was every instant treading with his naked feet.  He ran nearly half way across the plain before he ventured to look over his shoulder, when he perceived that the Indians were very much scattered, and that he had gained ground to a considerable distance from the main body; but one Indian, who carried a spear, was much before all the rest, and not more than a hundred yards from him.  A faint gleam of hope now cheered the heart of Colter: he derived confidence from the belief that escape was within the bounds of possibility; but that confidence was nearly being fatal to him, for he exerted himself to such a degree, that the blood gushed from his nostrils, and soon almost covered the fore part of his body.  He had now arrived within a mile of the river, when he distinctly heard the appalling sound of footsteps behind him, and every instant expected to feel the spear of his pursuer.  Again he turned his head, and saw the savage not twenty yards from him.  Determined if possible to avoid the expected blow, he suddenly stopped, turned round, and spread out his arms.  The Indian, surprised by the suddenness of the action, and perhaps at the bloody appearance of Colter, also attempted to stop; but exhausted with running, he fell whilst endeavoring to throw his spear, which stuck in the ground, and broke in his hand.  Colter instantly snatched up the pointed part, with which he pinned him to the earth, and then continued his flight.  The foremost of the Indians, on arriving at the place, stopped till others came up to join them, when they set up a hideous yell.  Every moment of this time was improved by Colter, who, although fainting and exhausted, succeeded in gaining the skirting of the cotton wood trees, on the borders of the fork, through which he ran, and plunged into the river. Fortunately for him, a little below this place there was an island, against the upper point of which a raft of drift timber had lodged.  He dived under the raft, and after several efforts, got his head above water amongst the trunks of trees, covered over with smaller wood to the depth of several feet.  Scarcely had he secured himself, when the Indians arrived on the river, screeching and yelling, as Colter expressed it, "like so many devils."  They were frequently on the raft during the day, and were seen through the chinks by Colter, who was congratulating himself on his escape, until the idea arose that they might set the raft on fire.  In horrible suspense he remained until night, when hearing no more of the Indians, he dived from under the raft, and swam silently down the river to a considerable distance, when he landed, and travelled all night.  Although happy in having escaped from the Indians, his situation was still dreadful: he was completely naked, under a burning sun; the soles of his feet were entirely filled with the thorns of the prickly pear; he was hungry, and had no means of killing game, although he saw abundance around him, and was at least seven days journey from Lisa's Fort, on the Bighorn branch of the Roche Jaune River.  These were circumstances under which almost any man but an American hunter would have despaired.  He arrived at the fort in seven days, having subsisted on a root much esteemed by the Indians of the Missouri, now known by naturalists as psoralea esculenta.

Back to the Top
Back to Wild Tales