Malachite’s Big Hole
The Collins Axe:
The Collins axe was a product of the Collins Company. The Collins Company (known throughout its history by similar variations) was established in 1826 by Samuel Collins in partnership with his brother Dave Collins and William Wells and was originally located in town of Canton, Connecticut. Eventually an industrial complex was established at what became known as Collinsville, Connecticut. The company quickly established a reputation for producing high quality axes. In 1831 factory prices for Collins axes were quoted at $20 a dozen and in 1841 at $13 a dozen. It isn’t clear specifically what axes these prices apply to as the company did produce many different styles and weights of axes ranging from one-half pound up to at least five and one-quarter pound. In addition to axes the Collins Company fabricated plows and other edged tools at their industrial complex.
For more information about Collins Axes see also:
Collins Axes, by James Hanson, Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly, Volume 47, No. 4, Winter 2011, pp 1-7.
American Axes,: A Survey of Their Development and Makers, by Henry J, Kauffman, Stephen Green Press, Brattleborouh Vermont, 1972, pp 31-39